Complete Driver’s Seat series set of 15 books and Teacher’s Book.
This series is aimed at Years 7-10 boys and girls (12-15-year-olds) who need simple, high-interest nonfiction to encourage them to read.
Reading level: 9 – 10 years
The Teacher’s Guide (supplied as pdf), focuses on practical ideas for running a reluctant reader programme. It includes ideas for introducing, developing and consolidating the reading; and activities for shared, guided, and independent reading. There are also copymasters for running records, and cloze and sentence sequencing exercises for each story.
- Narrative nonfiction, giving interesting facts and allowing students to “know stuff” the rest of the class don’t.
- Local settings, and characters mostly the age of the reader or a bit older.
- Topics include 4WD rallying, a quarry blast, surviving a mugging, military training, volunteering, hunting, and sports & technological challenges.
- Series includes two “pick-a-path” type books with themes of bush and sea safety.
- Short sentences, paragraphs and text blocks.
- Photo illustrations that mirror the text.